Friday, March 12, 2010

Results

"That is what my teachers and parents were trying to tell me when they said life isn't fair. It wasn't actually about who got to sit in the front seat of the car or who got to stay up late. It was about the big, unpredictable things. The things that actually matter but that our young minds couldn't comprehend and our parents and teachers hoped we would never have to face." - Portraits in Sepia

The baby was a triploid pregnancy; 69 chromosomes instead of 46. Also, thanks to all that extra genetic material, it might have been a partial molar pregnancy, meaning I get to spend the next six months to a year being jabbed every month to watch my HCG levels. Doc believes in erring on the side of caution. This also means that for the next six months to a year, it would be profoundly stupid to get knocked up. You know, if we decided we wanted to roll the dice again any time soon. On the upside, I won't have an excuse to lay out of the October PE exam.

So, this whole painful episode was just another relatively rare and random event. Nothing I did or didn't do, nothing wrong with me or Todd. It was just our day in the barrel. Again.

Unfair? You bet. Also unfair? That lottery ticket we bought, feeling like the universe owed us another big statistical improbability? Yeah, still not filthy rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment