Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I'm kidding about the mittens...for now


Micah was sick most of last week. He started coughing last Saturday and ran a fever, but he seemed better by Monday. Then on Tuesday, he tanked. He spent most of Wednesday and Thursday whimpering on my shoulder, running a fever that stubbornly refused to budge below 101 degrees. Friday he felt a little better - still not well, but with enough energy to scream about it for the entire afternoon. Saturday, though, his fever finally broke, and by Sunday he was more or less back to his old self. Well, his old self with one glaring exception: daycare.

Since about six months old, Micah has enjoyed daycare, and when he transitioned up to the toddler level, he really loved it. When I dropped him off in the mornings, he'd lunge into his teacher's arms. By the time I'd go to walk out of the room, he'd be so involved in playing, he hardly ever acknowledged my goodbyes. I've never had the experience of dropping off a reluctant, sobbing child. He's never refused to let me go, he's never burrowed his head into my shoulder, howling when I try to say goodbye. But so far this week, he's flipped out upon arrival. I don't know if it's because his regular teacher was out both yesterday and today, or if it's just because he got used to staying home with us. Whatever the reason, it sucks.

Yesterday when I arrived to pick him up, he was playing and didn't notice me come in, so I went and sat down nearby. He finally looked up and saw me, but instead of his usual smile and headlong charge into my arms, he just sat back. He stared at me, totally expressionless, almost like he was saying "So. You decided to come back, did you?" It wasn't until two other babies started climbing on me that he decided to crawl over to be picked up, but even then he refused to smile. He was STILL MAD, and he wanted me to know it.

In other baby-related news, this morning the cat freaked out in my lap and clawed both me AND Micah. He only has one little scratch – I definitely got the worst of it – but I was pretty pissed off that she'd come so close to really hurting him. And that, friends, is why I have a lovely brand-new pair of orange tabby mittens ready for when the winter comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment