Thursday, August 27, 2009

A piece of family history

This christening gown is over 105 years old.

Christening Gown

It was worn by my great grandfather, my grandfather, me, my sister, my son, my sister's two children, and I think a couple aunts and uncles and maybe a few cousins.

(Speaking of, does anyone have a list of the people who've worn it?)

Christening Gown

It's been well-preserved, but it's getting fragile. I figure it has one, maybe two, baptisms left in it before it starts to disintegrate.

Christening Gown

I took the opportunity to snap these pictures before my nephew's christening this past weekend. I meant to take some before Micah wore it, but I forgot until the gown was already wrinkled and drooled on.

There's just something about heirlooms like these that fascinates me - things that, even a century later, are still being used for their original purpose. It's not often you get to see such a tangible piece of so many family members' past.

No comments:

Post a Comment