Friday, June 4, 2010

Good thing I'm not actually a geotechnical engineer

Well, the PE results are in.

FAIL

I chose to take the Geotechnical exam because it's the closest to my actual career in Environmental Engineering. Well, closest in that I work on subsurface plumes and geotech engineering involves dirt. So, not really related at all, but more so than my other test options, is what I'm saying.

Uhm, yeah, how did that work out?

Percent Correct

100% - Subsurface Exploration & Sampling
80% - Soil Mechanics Analysis
80% - Other Topics (WTF does that even include?)
75% - Construction
75% - Earth Structures
67% - Shallow Foundations
60% - Engineering Properties of Soils and Materials

And then it goes downhill, WAY downhill, from there.

50% - Earthquake Engineering (50%? It's a Christmas miracle!)
33% - Earth Retaining Structures
25% - Deep Foundations

I had to laugh, because when it comes to shit I actually do in my job, I got a 100%. GO FIGURE. When it comes to things I haven't seen since that introductory soils class eight years ago, well, 25% means I just happened to fill in a correct bubble when I was blindly guessing.

Maybe we can say this is an acceptable score for someone who never took even a single Foundations Engineering class, and just move on? No?

Anyway, what this means is I have to take this thing again in October. And sometime in the next three months, I have to learn about retaining walls, seismic design, piles, and a bunch of other crap.

I'm...going to go drink now.

No comments:

Post a Comment