Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A small correction, NPR

Nun Excommunicated For Allowing Abortion

Actually, that headline should read, "Nun Excommunicated For Saving The Life Of A Woman Mother of 4* Who Would Otherwise Have Died, Along With Her Baby." But, you know, whatever.

*Further corrected by my mom, who pointed out that four children would have been left motherless had the woman died.

I have to say I find that entire story incredibly appalling. Having lost not one, but two babies of my own, I think I can say for certain that mother grieves every day for the circumstances that meant her child would never be born, one way or the other, and even more for the circumstances that meant she had to choose whether or not to die with her baby. However, she obviously wanted to live (see: four other children), and because of the actions of the medical staff, she did. For the hospital to decide, against her wishes, to just let her and her baby die, would have been unconscionable.

I think we can all agree it's a terribly sad situation, but that by any measure, a life saved is a good thing. I cannot believe good would have been better served by allowing two lives to end, instead of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment