Friday, January 15, 2010

On our way

Wednesday, Todd and I went in for an ultrasound to confirm a pregnancy that has already made itself very well known (what with the nausea and the vomiting and the nausea and the HUNGER and the zzzzzz....wha, I'm sorry, I must have dozed off again). To our immense relief, everything looks good. I am currently eight weeks pregnant, with a baby who should be born around August 21st.

The miscarriage has been on my mind quite a bit as the phantom due date approached. As we walked into the doctor's office on Wednesday, all I could think about was the moment I realized that short pregnancy was over, the one frozen second of time before everything stopped making sense. I was terrified we'd experience it again, and I honestly couldn't fathom what my reaction would be if we did. I've been on edge since the first positive pregnancy test, but Wednesday was a whole new level of anxiety. I was shaking the entire time we were waiting and on the way back to the room. The technician was trying make small talk, and I had to fight to unclench my teeth to answer her. I don't know what expression I had on my face, but she realized very quickly that we needed to get the ultrasound over with as soon as possible.

Then there was our baby, and the sound of his heartbeat, and it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen or heard.

The doctor was very pleased with the sonogram. The heartbeat is nice and high - 171 beats per minute - and everything seems to be good for now. The only hiccup is my hormone levels, while not currently low, aren't rising as fast as he'd like. I finished up another round of blood testing today, and if they're still dawdling, he might put me on some supplements. It's not the 100% healthy "go forth and grow a baby" proclamation I was looking for, but immensely better than the last time, so I'll take it.

So, yeah. Baby #2 is on the way. I'm still nervous as hell (the blissful naiveté of pregnancy #1 is LONG GONE), but so far things look okay. Let's just keep our fingers crossed until August, hmkay?

No comments:

Post a Comment