Sunday, August 15, 2010

Something New

A while back, my friend Jonathan got engaged to a beautiful girl named Kalie. A while later I worked up the nerve to ask him if they would be willing to let me attempt to do some engagement pictures. For free, of course, and with the understanding that they'd still reserve a real photographer to do real engagement shots at a later date. He said sure, they'd do it. I spent several weeks hyperventilating into a paper bag. Then last Sunday, we braved the 100 degree heat and went to the park downtown to take some pictures.

It was a real learning experience - as it was meant to be, I suppose. I had a hard time remembering to check all my camera settings, something real photographers do by instinct and reflex. I don't have the right equipment to do a lot of the shots I wanted to. I didn't have a good feel for what shutter speed/aperture to use in which light conditions. I had no idea how to pose people (I mean, my usual subject is a toddler). I didn't know what to say or do to put all of us at ease. Also, I was completely surprised by how much I hurt the next day, after only an hour of getting up and down. It was awkward, flesh-meltingly hot, and a little confusing, and the whole time I was worried I was failing miserably.

But when I got home, I found that amongst all the glaring technical errors and rookie mistakes (and believe me, there were A GREAT MANY), I managed to get a few pictures I loved.








And you know what? They love them too. Yay!

In the end, I think we all got something good out of the experience. I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and gave it a shot.

(The rest are here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment