Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Close to Home

When I went into labor at a little over 33 weeks, I received two doses of a steroid for fetal lung development and several different medications that stopped my labor. I spent three weeks on bed rest, on a variety of drugs. My son was born healthy at almost 37 weeks.

Micah never spent a single day in the NICU, and that is entirely due to the research and the science behind all those medications. Without them, our story would likely be very very different.

The rate of premature births is rising. One in eight babies born in America is premature. As in my case, it's usually not known what causes preterm labor. Research into life-saving treatments is good. Research into causes and prevention is even better. And both of those things take money.

Please, please take a moment to go here and donate to the March of Dimes. Your donation will help fund research into the causes of preterm labor and the treatment of complications from prematurity. Too many stories don't end as well as ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment