Wednesday, March 9, 2011

In which I shout a bit

The potty-training method we used to train Micah relies on teaching the kid what that funny feeling means and what to do about it, rather than just dragging them off for breaks 30 minutes apart or whatever. You can ask them repeatedly "are your pants dry?" but under no circumstances do you start timing them and forcing them to sit on the toilet when they say they don't need to go. This makes total sense to me, and obviously it worked great for Micah, because he went for a whole week without an accident at daycare.

Then there's this week, where he's started transitioning to Preschool. Apparently his new teachers aren't quite on board like I thought, with the result that yesterday he had THREE accidents at daycare, and today they just called to tell me he's gone through all FOUR sets of clothing I provided. Then they told me the "problem" is that they've been taking him every 20 minutes, and he just won't pee on command. Instead he goes later in his pants without telling them.

Well, NO SHIT.

If they're ripping him out of his activities every 20 minutes even though he's telling them he doesn't have to go, WHY on earth would he think 1) they're going to listen when he says he needs to and 2) that he needs to take even more time away from fun stuff? I mean, REALLY.

(Also, WTF, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?)

I told them to stop. I told them what had worked. I asked that they please stop driving him (and themselves, probably) crazy by dragging him to the restroom when he didn't want to go, and instead just constantly remind him to keep his pants dry. Then I got off the phone so I could passive-aggressively bitch to everyone about how these new teachers seem to be dead-set on sabotaging all the hard work we did the last two weeks with their inherently illogical approach to a child who's PROVEN he's potty trained and only needs to pee every 2 to 3 hours.

(The venting helps me get the AAAARGHWHATTHEHELLAREYOUDOING under control so I can talk calmly about this with the daycare people later today. Or maybe I should wait until tomorrow...)

And now I'm sitting at the office, imagining how frustrated and angry Micah must feel, being badgered by these strange, new people all day long. I'm actually leaning towards going and taking him out for the rest of the day, partly because I don't want them ruining a good thing and CLEARLY we need to have another talk, and partly because I just feel bad for the poor kid. But it's his first day, and I don't want to ruin it. Any more than it already is, I guess.

*sigh* There is no right answer to this one, is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment